Professor – Dr. Jonathan Pennington
Check out the short interview below that SBTS put together to get to know a little bit more about your professor!
Online Teaching Assistant (OTA)
Once the course begins you will be assigned at OTA. Once you receive your OTA that will be the person who will be communicating with you throughout the semester, grading assignments, and answer any questions you may have.
- Hill, C. E. Who Chose the Gospels?: Probing the Great Gospel Conspiracy. Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Strauss, Mark L. Four Portraits, One Jesus: A Introduction to Jesus and the Gospels. Zondervan, 2007.
- Pennington, Jonathan T. Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2012.
- Maier, Paul L. Pontius Pilate: A Novel. 2nd ed. Kregel Publications, 2014.
- Rice, Anne. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt: A Novel. Ballantine Books, 2008.
Note: These are both very beneficial to read and I recommend both, but only one is required and you can choose. Anne Rice’s novel gives a first person narration of Jesus’ life while 7-8 years old. Paul Maier’s book sits Pontius Pilate and 1st century Christianity squarely in its Roman Imperial context. For whichever textbook you choose you will need to write a 750-word response paper by the end of the semester.
- Green, Joel B., Prof Jeannine K. Brown, and Nicholas Perrin, eds. Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. 2nd ed. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Academic, 2013.
If the student would like to access other resources for this course, please visit the James P. Boyce Centennial Library’s Distance Students Services.
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.